Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Scott's Picks, Round 5

I decided to take a different track this time around and not focus on literature but create a more eclectic mix.

1. Lake Wobegon Days by Garrison Keillor This is a renomination of one from Brandon from an earlier round. I was listening to NPR a few days ago and heard a bit of Prairie Home Companion, making me want to read something Keillor.

2. A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson I really enjoyed 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' and I have hiked in the Appalachians a bit, so I thought why not?

3. Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey I know Abbey is not everyone's cup of tea, but he talks about Arches as it used to be in this book and I can relate to much of what he says regarding wilderness.

4. The Domiguez-Escalante Journal Part of Utah's (and the West's) early history I have always been curious about.

5. Beyond The hundredth Meridian by Wallace Stegner Another renomination (from Joe's picks, if I remember correctly). I thought this would be an interesting read.

6. All Creature's Great And Small by James Herriot This one is just for fun. The adventures of an English country vet from a simpler time. I have always loved this book and have not read it for a long time, so I thought I would throw it into the mix as well.

2 comments:

  1. all creatures - 6
    lake wobegon - 5
    desert solitaire - 4
    walk in the woods - 3
    domibuez-escalante - 2
    hundredth meridian - 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dominguez 6
    Walk in woods 5
    Wobegon 4
    Meridian 3
    Solitaire 2
    Creatures 1

    ReplyDelete

The Manly Calendar